Bran Moieciu Casa Tolstoi Pension | Bran Castle

Bran Castle

BRAN CASTLE ( IN GERMAN Torzburg, IN Hungarian Torcsvar ) is a historical and architectural monument, situated in Rucar- Bran corridor, 3 kilometers far from Casa Tolstoi.

A document issued by King Ludovic I of Hungary (1342-1382) on 19th November 1377 in Zvolen confirms, according to the promise, to the Saxons from Brasov throne (totaque communitas Saxonum sedis Brassouiensis) the right to built on their own expense and people, a new stone citadel in Bran (promiserunt novum castrum in lapide Tydrici edificare). With this occasion, the king promises Brasov people that, if Romanian country will be on`` our hands``, then customs will be moved from Rucar (Ruffa Arbor) to Bran. The reference regarding a ``new stone citadel`` from the document text dated 1377 allows the deduction according to which the stone fortification, that was about to be enlightened, was forewent by an older border reinforcement. This citadel, probably of wood, will be built by the Teutonic Chevaliers between 1211-1225. The citadel is assigned to Theodorikus Magister. In the XIIIth century, Bran Citadel territory was put under the jurisdiction of Alba Iulia Royal County.

In 1395 Sigismund of Luxemburg, German Emperor and King of Hungary, used Bran Castle as a strategic base for an incursion in the Romanian Country, in order to eliminate Voievode Vlad the Invader , the rival of Mircea the Elder, his leud.

In 1407, Sigismund gives Mircea the Elder the possession of Bran Castle (without the associated domain) and Bologa. Bran remains under the authority of Romanian Country until 1419.

In 1427 Bran Castle passed from Brasov throne property into the one of Hungarian Crown, who completed the fortification and extension works. In 1498 the Hungarian Royalty rented Bran Citadel to Brasov throne.

In 1920, Brasov City Council donated Bran Castle to Queen Mary of Romania, as gratitude for her contribution to the Great Unification from December the first 1918. The Queen arranged the castle and let it as inheritance to her daughter, Princess Ileana, sister of Carol the Second. After the royal family was expelled from Romania, in 1948, Bran Castle became the property of Romanian authorities, being abandoned and devastated. The castle opened again for public visits in 1956, being partially furnished as an historical and feudal art museum. In 1987 the restoration began, and the castle was largely completed in 1993.

Although Bran Castle was known both in touristic and folkloric circuits as Dracula`s Castle, here also being made a movie, `` Interview with a vampire``, seems that Vlad the Impaler never lived there. Recently, Romanian authorities gave back the castle to Dominic of Habsburg and his two sisters, as inheritors of Princess Ileana. The owners take the commitment that for three years they will keep the castle as a museum. Romania took on the restoration and maintenance costs for the castle and also has the right of pre-emption in case of a future acquisition.

Image Gallery Photos with interior and exterior of the pension
Free Bikes Included in the accommodation price
Bran Moeciu Tourism Touristic objectives
Bran Moieciu Casa Tolstoi Pension | Small Logo